New mayor of Sierra Leone's capital city attacked


Freetown's new mayor, Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr, said in a statement posted on Facebook Thursday that she  was "verbally and physically assaulted yesterday by a few people who perhaps do not understand that I am the Mayor of all Freetonians and not some Freetonians."

Aki-Sawyerr, seen in the above photo with Dr. Samura Kamara, the All People's Congress (APC) 2018 presidential nominee,  condemned all acts of violence. The mayor reportedly returned to work Thursday.

Police have not released comments on the attack, but the mayor thanked the internal affairs ministry for their "support and interventions," adding she was "certain that necessary steps will be taken to ensure my personal safety and that of all Freetonians." 


Read the full statement below:

Dear Freetonians,
I would like to once again thank God and thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve as the Mayor of Freetown. I am passionate about our city and committed to working with the central government and with all Freetonians to transform Freetown.
Unfortunately, I was verbally and physically assaulted yesterday by a few people who perhaps do not understand that I am the Mayor of all Freetonians and not some Freetonians. I strongly condemn all acts of violence and appeal to Freetonians to keep the peace at all times. Yesterday's attack is being investigated by the Sierra Leone Police. Let me use this opportunity to thank the leadership of the Sierra Leone Police and the Minister of Internal Affairs for their support and interventions yesterday. I am confident that they will ensure that justice is done and seen to be done. I am also certain that the necessary steps will be taken to ensure my personal safety and that of all Freetonians.
We have so much to do as we forge the path to a transformed Freetown. I remain excited and committed to that vision. Let us continue the work with peace in our hearts and in our actions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebola: The More We Learn, the More We Realize How Much We Don't Know

28 Years Since the Death of Salami Coker